- University of Kansas School of Medicine at Wichita, Department of Pediatrics, Wichita, Kansas, PL-3 year, July 1996–July 1997
- Children’s Memorial Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, PL-1 and PL-2 years, June 1994–June 1996
- Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, Doctor of Medicine, Aug 1990–June 1994
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, Bachelor of Arts with Honors, Microbiology; Graduate of the Honors Program in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 1986- 1989
Licensure and Board Certification
- State of Kansas, Board of Healing Arts, Certificate Number 04-26358
- Diplomat, American Board of Pediatrics, October 1997 Recertification December 2004, 2014
- Shawnee County Medical Society and Kansas Medical Society Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics; American Academy of Pediatrics, Kansas Chapter
- Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center, Membership staff
- St. Francis Health Center, Membership staff
Private Practice, Topeka, Kansas, July 1997–present
President/CEO, Topeka’s only NCQA Certified Level 3 Medical Home
- Established Topeka Pediatrics, PA, July 2001
- Starting from the ground up, grew this practice to 3000 families
Kids First Pediatric Urgent Care, President/CEO, Dec 2013–present
- Topeka’s only pediatric urgent care
- Increasing the level of care for all the children in our community
National Discount Vaccine Alliance, Inc, President/CEO, Oct 2008–Dec 2018, Main Street Vaccines Medical Dir. Jan 2019- present
- National vaccine purchasing group; Sanofi Pasteur and Merck contracts, business consulting and contracting, discounted office and medical supplies
- Motivated by the ever-increasing costs of overhead in private practice, developed and fostered relationships and contracting opportunities to afford even the smallest practices the same discounts as their larger counterparts
Are the initials important? We think they are. Dr. Cain is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (F.A.A.P.). Born and raised in Topeka, Dr. Cain loves and cares for the children of our community.
Awards, Activities & Appointments
- Primary Care Representative to theAMA Relative Value Update Committee (RUC) voting seat, 2020- present.
- Primary Care Alternate Representative to the AMA Relative Value Unit Update Committee(RUC), voting seat, June 2016–2018
- American Academy of Pediatrics,"Implementation of ICD-10", Webinar, Dec 2013.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Administration and Practice Management, Elected National Executive Board, October 2011-present; RVU chair, October 2009–2011
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Webinar, "Dealing with Carrier Repayments and Takeback Demands", August 2011.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Practical Pediatrics, Vail, Colorado, "Top 10 Ways to Increase your Revenue", "AAP Vaccine Financing Strategies and Resources, January 2011.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, National Conference and Exhibition, :contracts and Negotiations", San Francisco, October 2010.
- Pediatric Gurus, Goryeb Children's Hospital, Skytop, PA."Top 10 Ways to Increase your Revenue" and "AAP Vaccine financing Strategies and Resources for Physicians", June 2010.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, National Conference and Exhibition, Washington, D.C., "Starting in Practice, The Early Years", October 2009.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Automated Identification of Vaccine Products Work GRoup, Co-Chair, successful US implementation of vaccine bar codes with GS1US and all vaccine manufacturers, Elk F=grove Village, IL, January 2009.
- Texas ImmunizationSummit, "AAP Vaccine Financing Strategies and Resources for Physicians", November 2008, Austin, TX.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, National Conference &Exhibition, "What in the World is an EOB and Why Should I Care?", "Personal Finance 101", "Adding Value to Pediatric Practice", Boston, MA, October 2008.
- National Business Group on Health, Investing in Maternal and Child Health: An Employer's Toolkit, Reviewer and Contributor, 2007.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, National Convention & Exhibition, "What in the World is an EOB and Why Should I Care?", "Personal Finance 101", and "Show Me the Money - Contracts and Negotiations", San Francisco, CA, October 2007.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Pediatric Care Online Editorial Advisory Board, Elk Grove Village, IL, June 2007-13.
- AMA/Immunization Congress Public/Private Costs of Immunizations Task Force , co-Chaor, representing the AAP, May 2007.
- National Quality Forum, Pediatric Panel Presentation, representing the AAP, "Primary Care Pediatrics and Quality Measurement…the measurement conundrum", Chicago, MAY 2007.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Private Payer Advocacy Advisory Committee, Elk Grove Village, IL, 2004-10.
"It is a privilege to take care of the children in this community and to work so closely with so many families."
-Dr. Kathleen Cain